No matter your size, shape, or age, the maxi dress should have a place in your summer wardrobe. If you haven't been successful at finding the style that's just right, try one of these tips (or two!):
Your maxi dress should have some fit somewhere so you don't look like you are wearing a sack, making you look bigger than you are and/or have no shape at all. Garments with strategically placed buttons or zippers can also add visual shape.
Prints or texture are more forgiving than solids and require less effort in the accessory department.
If you are petite:
* Color blocking will make you look shorter.
* Skip tea length which will make your legs look shorter. An exception is if you are wearing some fabulous heels that are the focal point of your outfit.
* Prints or one solid color create a nice & easy elongated head to toe look.
* Choose a print that is small to medium in scale that works with your body and facial features.
* Fit and fairly snug at the waist or just below the bust.
* A V-neck to elongate the body
* Some strappy heels are always a great way to elongate the body. When it's 100 degrees I don't feel much like the heels so I just make sure my sandals blend in with my dress.
* Try some wide straps. Narrow straps will make your frame look bigger.
* A wide V-neck will minimize a large bust and elongate the body.
* If possible, try a simple, dark belt around the narrowest part of your torso, usually right under the bust.
* Try a medium to large print that will work with both your body frame and your facial features.
If your hips are the widest part of your body:
* A-line or fit and flare through the skirt portion will be the most flattering.
* If the design of the dress doesn't accentuate your waist use a belt under the bust or at the narrowest part of your waist to create the illusion of a flare.
If you want to cover your arms:
* Try a button-down shirt tied at the waist over your dress. This is a modern look and takes the place of a belt.
* Try a tee under your dress, or try sleeveywonders, which also comes in plus size. http://www.sleeveywonders.com/
If you have a tummy:
* If you have a slight tummy, try a relatively wide belt and pull a little fabric up over the belt. Viola! No more tummy.
* Vertical lines are always our friends, no matter what your shape!