How To Style Off-The Shoulder
It's a sexy and sensual look without being blatant. Off-the shoulder adds excitement and interest to an outfit. Anywhere you see a bevy of style-conscious women you'll find off-the-shoulder tops.
It's no longer just the straight across styles—just as chic are cutout, asymmetrical, and strappy silhouettes.
The off-the-shoulder go-to's:
- The straight across. Here a clean and classic look of high waist jeans and ankle boots. The horizontal stripes make the shoulders look even wider. Great for hourglass or inverted triangle shapes.
- Asymmetrical style tucked into a maxi skirt for a comfy and chic vibe
- Subtle exposure
- Shoulder straps. This is another example of visually widening the shoulders.
- Cold shoulder
- Try ruffle sleeves -so feminine and flirtatious!
- Layer over a button-down for a more conservative view.
- Create your own strap style by wearing a crop or tank top under an asymmetric or straight across style.
- Create your own off-the-shoulder with a tee-shirt. Tie a knot at one side and let the opposite side fall off-the-shoulder.
For straight across: If your top balloons on your shoulders because you move your arms, check out this solution. (I'll admit my least favorite style is the straight across. Once dressed I prefer to get on with the day and not worry about my clothes moving, or worse, falling!)
The right bra: While cold shoulder and wider strap styles lend themselves to a regular bra, you'll want to find the perfect strapless or adhesive undergarments. Check these out.
Are you a fan of the off-the-shoulder?
-J Kelley, Style & Beauty Blogger
Kelley Johnson, AICI CIC
Association of Image Consultants International Certified Image Consultant
Style and Beauty Blogger